Friday, May 9, 2014

Things you learn being a barista.

A few years ago, I used to be a barista. I left on good terms, but still. I'll be real with you.

Being a Barista is a love hate relationship. You love your co-workers, you love some customers, but there always those customers who make you want to rip your hair out. 

So here are The Things I Learned Being a Barista.

Number One: 

Frappuccinos suck. I am not kidding. These are the worst beverages in the world. I thought I liked Frappuccinos and then I had to make like 100 of the during Frappy Hour and I've hated them ever since. They are no longer a magical treat during a hot day. They are something evil staring at you. The boo loves them still, so if I ever go order one I honestly apologize for it. I'm weird, I know. Pumpkin Spice Lattes also get the same reaction from me. People go NUTS over those things! 


Number Two:

You will leave work covered in Chai and Mocha and not even be totally sure how that happened. Uhm yeah, I would have days where I would not even touch bar but sure enough when I went out to dinner after my shift I'd notice I literally had it all over my body. Like what? All of your clothes also tend to smell like spoiled milk. Whipped cream gets everywhere too! AHHHHH.


Number Three:

You start hating hot drinks. Yeah, I used to love my salted caramel mochas and caramel apple spices. Nope, now all I drink from coffee shops is iced tea or iced fruity drinks! I think hot drinks bring back memories of literally sweating behind the counter and people keep ordering them. Cool drinks were nice and refreshing!



Number Four: 

Those pastries are basically equivalent to crack. SO ADDICTING. After awhile, you'll learn which ones are made even better by warming them up, or which ones are delicious by putting a little bit of caramel drizzle on them. So yummy!


Number Five:

That moment when you make the perfect drink... then the customer says it's wrong. WORST THING EVER. 


Number Six:

The "Secret" Menu. Here's a secret about it... We literally don't know it. I learned some secret menu drinks by going online and seeing what people say are in them, but other than that nope. We honestly have no clue!


Number Seven:

You'll love soy. I was already lactose intolerant when I started, so I always hated real milk. Pretty much every barista I knew would always order soy in their drinks because it just tastes SO much better. 



Number Eight:

Extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra  extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra  extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra  extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra  extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra  extra extra extra extra
caramel is never okay.


So.. Whats your fav Starbucks drink? Don't worry, I wont be mad if its a frappuccino!

3 comments:

  1. never been to starbucks or had a drink from there. Yea I think I'm a first.

    got to hate that smell. when i worked at subway when you left there you smelt just like the place and i've hated it every since. I wont step foot in one anymore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big Starbucks fan! I tried a Pumpkin Spiced Latte once and HATED it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta say.. I'm a fan of the double choclaty chip frapp! My sister works at starbucks so she sometimes brings them home for me, mmm.

    ReplyDelete