Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I wanted that iced- #exbaristaprobs

OH MY GOSH. HI.

Happy Hump Day Y'all! I just finished my Tap Final, and I have to say it went pretty great! We got extra credit for dressing up winter-y, so I dressed up like a snowflake!

Yup, typical ballet pose for tap class. What can you expect from me though?!

I wanted to wear a white leotard and a tutu as well, but lets get real, last time I had a white leotard was the last time I actually was a Snowflake in a production (I was in 8th grade back then!) Let's not act like that would still fit me lol.

So, I'm still at school -yawn- waiting to meet one of the girls that is going to be moving into my house soon. I'm excited for that, but I'm just super tired and wanna eat and wanna take a nap. Ugh. #mylife (edit: meeting went great! made a new friend!)

Anyways, so I'm sitting at Starbucks. I used to work at Starbucks. I kinda sorta miss it sometimes, but not gonna lie, I'm glad I left. So, one of the most annoying things about being a barista was obviously ridiculous stuff customers say and order. Lots of great twitters capture these moments so well. So anyways, the most annoying things ever are:


Ordering from the "Secret Menu" and getting mad when we have no idea what you are talking about!


The "Captain Crunch" Frappuccino. AKA Toffenut Strawberries and Creme Frappuccino.


Here's a secret... We don't really have a secret menu. Those are drinks that are just made up by customers and other baristas that Starbucks doesnt put in our menu cards. 

Okay, let me explain. I like some of the secret menu drinks just as much as y'all do, however, I do not know what is in a "Pixie" or a "Cotton Candy Frappuccino" I will be more than happy to help you if you can tell me what is in the drink though! I mean obviously, there are some we know off the top of our head like "Captain Crunch" and "Cookies and Creme" but just be prepared to tell us what you want and we will do our best!


YOU MISSPELLED MY NAME!!!!!!! SHAME ON YOUUUUUU!



Okay, I try my best, but when you are mumbling I'm clearly not going to get the right name. Don't expect me to automatically know what spelling of Bryan/Brian your name is! It honestly doesn't matter! You're still getting the drink you ordered either way, and now have a funny instagram picture. I had a girl come up to me and bitch me out because someone had spelled her name wrong the other day, and how it was insulting because she was an international student.

Listen, I'm sorry. However, whoever is marking cups probably is trying to get it done in a hurry. We don't intend to insult you, we honestly just write what you hear. Sometimes it's very hard to know how some international names are spelled, or its hard to hear what they're saying if they have an accent. We mean no disrespect, however please don't get mad about it. My name is Katrina, and I even get that spelled wrong! 

Also, not gonna lie. Sometimes we spell simple names wrong on purpose. Sorry, not sorry.

"I wanted that iced"

THEN SAY IT WHEN YOUR ORDERED IT. I'm not a psychic. I'm not sorry that  you failed to mention you wanted an iced drink while you saw the barista writing your order on a hot cup! Like really? We are very happy to make iced beverages. They're easier. I don't have to steam milk for it. Just say so!!!! Don't yell and make a scene when you're handed a hot drink because that is the standard if you don't specify.

People being all forms of terrible because they haven't had their coffee yet.


Guess what? I'm not a total raging bitch when I haven't had my coffee yet. Just because you're the one with the credit card paying for it doesn't mean that you get a free pass to be a horrible human being to me because I'm standing behind this counter. Be kind to your barista, or anyone actually that has to serve you. It's common decency. 

-You finish making a drink- "Oh can you make that soy"

Yes, I can make that soy if you march your self over to the cash register and pay 60 cents for said soy. I'm lactose intolerant myself and I ALWAYS pay for my soy, and I never "forget" it until the drink is being made. I understand there are mistakes, however most of the people that would do this were regulars that would do it every time.

People trying to order skinny drinks with whipped cream and made with soy

Okay, incase most people didn't know.. Soy is fattening. Whipped cream is fattening. A skinny drink standard is non-fat milk, no whip, and sugar free syrup. I get that people don't know this but you look kind of ridiculous ordering a skinny latte that is anything but skinny. A lot of baristas would bitch about people ordering soy drinks with whipped cream. I don't really care much about that because soy tastes amazing and is so much better than regular milk. Go ahead get whipped cream on it. I personally don't because of lactose intolerance. 

People ordering too many frappuccinos.



May the odds be ever in your favor to whoever ends up working cold bar to make all of those frappuccinos. It sucks. Most common when you see a large group of teenagers enter the coffee shop and study the frappuccino menu. You'll probably cry if you work cold bar. Also, it's so entertaining to hear people say how they need a caffeine fix and order a vanilla bean frappuccino. Jokes on you, no caffeine in that! 


All in all, the majority of customers are not terrible. I really don't hate any of them. It's just awful to be working and have people be mean to you about these certain things. There are really good and polite customers out there! Again, I urge EVERYONE to be nice to anyone who works in food, retail or customer service. People are awful to these people because they think they just can be. Don't be that person at Starbucks! Even if you are, be nice to the barista and you won't fall into the mean customer category!





No comments:

Post a Comment